Monday, November 3, 2008

This I Believe Edited

It was a regular Friday, well as regular as Friday the 13th's get, night my senior year of high school.  We had a big football game that night against our "rival" team.  Nonetheless, we were all friends so we all went out to Buffalo Wild Wings that night.  It was at least 30 of us and we were all just having fun, eating, and taking pictures.  It got to be around midnight and  knowing that my bestfriend, Seonnee, had a curfew I reminded her that it was probably time to find her friend and go home.  About 10 or 15 minutes later, we were done so we were walking to the car and we saw Seonnee arguing with her friend telling her to come on they had to go.  They left literally 5 minutes before us.  What happened next, I will never forget. 
I had just got home and Seonnee sister called me to ask me if I knew Briana's, Seonnee's friend, number.  This immediately seemed weird since her sister was away at school, but I just said no, but they should be home soon. They left right before me. Next thing I know, another friend was calling me saying that Seonnee had been in a real bad car accident. She had hit by a drunk driver only about 5 blocks from my house and thrown out the car.   They didn't know if she would be alright. She was being rushed to St. James hospital.  The next few minutes are still a blur to me. I had known Seonnee since I was 2 years old.  All I know is I ran up the steps to wake up and tell my mom.  She told me to put my clothes on so we could go because I wasn't driving and she would call Seonnee's mom.  First she took me to the accident spot and until this day I don't know why but I was crying at this point and couldn't form the words to ask. 
When we finally arrived at the hospital, everyone was there.  All of our friends were sitting by each other, her mom was sitting by herself, going crazy, and then the rest of her family. Briana's friends and family were also there.  The waiting room was packed but I chose not to sit by anybody.  I am not usually a person that cries, but I could not bear what was going on so I just had to be by myself.  People came by to check on me, including my and Seonnee's mom, but I never moved.  It felt as if time was moving so slow that night, but as people had to start going home around 4  and 5, I stayed. I couldn't go without seeing Seonnee. Though the time was moving slow, it had become 6 am without me noticing because I couldn't go to sleep. When she was able to see people before surgery, her mom said she wanted me and I went in.  It was so hard to see her in that much pain, she had broke her leg in 3 places, her hip and had infinite scratches and bruises. Nonetheless I was glad she was alright, well at least alive.  
That was night that I found that friendship is something should cherished and never taken advantage of, and never to get behind the wheel of a car under the influence. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I definitely felt that I was drawn into your story. It was almost like i was there. I'm so sorry that things happened the way they did that night, but I'm glad that she's okay. Drunk driving is really something that should never happen. Nobody thinks it will happen to them. I definitely agree that you should also cherish friendships because without them we couldn't survive.